Mealtime adventures are better with Bibado! Let our award-winning products make a difference to your weaning journey.Shop Now
Three Ways With Avocado
Avocado is a wonderful food to introduce during the weaning phase as it is packed with essential nutrients and healthy fats. Here are three ways you can incorporate avocado into your baby's weaning diet:
1. Avocado Puree or Yoghurt Blend - perfect to 6-9 months
- Peel a ripe avocado and remove the pit.
- Scoop out the flesh and place it in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth, adding a small amount of breast milk or formula if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Serve a small portion of avocado puree to your baby and let them explore with the honey-dipper end of the Dippit.
Avocado Yoghurt Blend
- In a bowl, mash a ripe avocado with a fork until smooth
- Add a few spoonfuls of plain full-fat yogurt to the mashed avocado
- Stir well to combine both ingredients
- You can adjust the consistency by adding breast milk or formula if desired
- Serve the avocado yogurt blend in a small bowl or offer it on a pre-loaded Dippit spoon for your baby to enjoy
2. Avocado Slices - from 6-9 months+
Avocado slices are a great finger food to offer to your baby during the weaning phase as they are soft and easy to chew. Here are the steps to serve avocado slices to your baby:
- Choose a ripe avocado. The flesh should be soft enough to mash easily but not too mushy
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit
- Slice the avocado flesh lengthwise into thin strips. Make sure the pieces are small enough for your baby to manage
- Serve the avocado slices on a small plate or tray, allowing your baby to explore and pick them up at their own pace. The slippery texture is great for them to explore and will help develop their motor skills
- Encourage your baby to self-feed by showing them how to pick up the avocado slices and bring them to their mouth. You can also offer small pieces on a pre-loaded spoon to help them get started
- Watch your baby closely while they eat to ensure they are able to chew and swallow the avocado properly
3. Skin-on Avo' Boats - 18-24 months
This way of serving avocado is perfect for older babies and toddlers that have started to master their motor skills and are comfortable using utensils like our 'No-drop' Handi Cutlery.
- Simply halve an avocado and remove the pit
- Leave the skin on as this helps with grip but also adds another sensory dimension to the experience
- Make sure the avocado is ripe enough so that your little one can scoop with their spoon or fork
- Watch as they practice their side to side and front to back scooping skills